Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q Which countries does Trinity accept international students?
A We have opened our doors to international students on our campus starting the 2014-2015 school year. Students are welcome from all countries  to apply including Korea, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Vietnam, Burma, Mexico, Brazil, Panama, and Europe. They attend classes with the American students.

Q To what type of colleges will Trinity international students get accepted?
A Trinity Students have been accepted at many prestigious universities that include   Because of the excellent college preparation with many honors and Advanced Placement courses, international students who attend our school for 3 to 4 years may have higher college placements than do students who only attend only 1 or 2 years.

Q Does Trinity have an ESL program?
A We do not have an English Second Language program for our international students. Because our international students are mixed in with our American students in all the college preparatory classes, each student accepted into Trinity needs to demonstrate strong abilities in written and spoken English. They demonstrate this knowledge through a good score on the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language test), as well as being able to listen and speak with us comfortably during the 30-minute interview (in person or via webcam).

Q In what grade levels do you take international students?
A We recommend first entering our school in grades 7-11. We do not take students new to the United States in grade 12.

Q Do you take new international students to Trinity in the spring semester (beginning early January)?
A Generally, all international students are accepted to begin only at the start of an academic year—our fall semester (beginning mid-August). Occasionally, we do accept an international student for the spring semester if they have been in the U.S. schooling system for at least one year, have high grades, and demonstrate excellent written and spoken English skills (TOEFL score of 74 or greater).

Q When is the application due?
A The early date to return completed applications, along with the application fee, is Spring for Priority Consideration. Applications received after Spring, will also be considered after the Priority Consideration applicants have been evaluated.

Q How can I have the best opportunity to be accepted into Trinitys’ international student program?
A Students have the highest percentage of acceptance if they apply by the Priority Consideration Deadline in Spring, can demonstrate a high level of skill in speaking and writing English, have outstanding grades in their current school, excellent recommendations, and can show involvement in programs right now that they will continue in once accepted to Trinity, such as fine arts, athletics, theatre, clubs, etc.

Q What is the application process for International Students?
A Documents which need to be submitted on-line are:

a. Application, filled out by the parent, guardian, or student, along with the application fee of $125.  CLICK HERE TO APPLY Application is filled out online.
b. Student Questionnaire, filled out by the student in his/her own handwriting, with both essay questions answered. OTHER REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
c. Recommendation Letters.
d. Official Academic records (grades) for the current school year and the last two school years, stamped, sealed, and translated into English. If accepted we will need the student’s current school trascript. It must be stamped, sealed, and translated into English.
e. Complete immunization records translated into English.
f. Photocopy of the applicant’s passport.
g. Competed parent, guardian, or clergy statement.

There also needs to be submitted a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score to show level of English.

After all applications have been submitted and received initial approval, an interview is scheduled. If the student is not in the Los Angeles area, the interview can be done via a webcam using Skype.  Final admissions decisions are made by the end of Spring if the application is received by the Priority deadline.

Q What about the I-20 and F-1 visa?
A International students must obtain an F-1 visa from their local US Embassy to attend school in the U.S. for more than one year. In order to obtain an F-1 visa, the international student must first be accepted at a SEVIS-approved school, such as Trinity Classical Academy. After the student has been accepted to Trinity, and his/her family returns the Enrollment Contract and fee to our school, we issue the student the I-20 form. We send the I-20 by certified mail courier to the student in their home country. The student then takes this form to the U.S. Embassy and requests an F-1 visa.

Q How do I get an application?
A You can apply online on our website at

Q Does Trinity Classical Academy board students or find homestay families?
Trinity does board international students and directly places students with other Trinity families.

Q What are the requirements for host families?
We develop close relationships with the host families for our international students. They have a personal interview with us, just as does the international student. The family in which the student lives are other Trinity families. The host family should have a Limited Power of Attorney form signed and on file with us so that we can share information related to the student’s progress in our school. The Limited Power of Attorney form should be written to give the host family the legal authority to make decisions about the student’s health, education and general welfare.

Q Does the student have to be a Christian to attend Trinity Classical Academy?
A Trinity Classical Academy is a distinctly Christian environment, and students seeking to enroll at Trinity should be willing to explore and discover Biblical principles on a daily basis.  Although we understand that not every student will come to Trinity with a decision already made to follow Christ, the student should expect to be immersed in a Christian worldview and should have a basic understanding of the tenets of the faith (see Trinity’s Statement of Faith for more information).  We encourage students to ask questions and examine the Christian faith in order to make a personal decision, however, we do expect civil and respectful discussions.  In addition, at least one custodial parent must profess a personal, saving relationship with Jesus Christ.  It is expected that the student regularly attends his or her home church with their family, and is active in a youth group, ministry or discipleship group.

Q What is the weather like in Los Angeles?
A The Los Angeles Area has some of the nicest weather in the entire world! Summer temperatures average about 83 degrees Fahrenheit (28 degrees Celsius) during the day and winter temperatures average about 63 degrees Fahrenheit (17 degrees Celsius) during the day. There is very little humidity in our region and not much rain—only about 15 inches of rain per year, mostly in December, January and February. There is snow (and skiing!) up in the mountains a few hours away.

When do students return to their home country?
Students typically fly to their home country for the Christmas break and Summer break.  This is an expense that the student is responsible.

Q Is there financial aid available for international students?
A We are sorry, but there is not financial aid for students attending Trinity from other countries.

Q Do students need health insurance to attend Trinity?
A Yes, all international students must have health insurance to attend our school. They may select and purchase their own health plan in their home country if it is recognized in California, they may purchase a plan in California immediately upon arriving, or they may purchase a plan on our website.

Q Who should I contact for more information about the Trinity International Student Program?
A We are so glad you are learning more about Trinity Classical Academy—we love and care for each international student in our program and want to answer all your questions. Please contact us!

Helpful Websites:

You may wish to go to the following websites for helpful information concerning your child’s education in the U.S.

SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program)

U.S. State Department – General Information

For the nearest U.S. Embassy in your home country

Wait times for your Visa interview

U.S. education information

Tammi Scimenes
International Student Advisor